Balloon Sinuplasty In-Office
- Benefits of Balloon Sinuplasty In-Office
- Local Anesthesia – Balloon Sinuplasty In-Office is an option for patients who decline or are ineligible for general anesthesia.
- Fast Recovery – While recovery time varies with each patient, most patients who undergo the in-office procedure can return to normal activities and work within 2 days.(1)
- Comfortable Surroundings – Experience the procedure in the comfort of your physician’s office rather than a hospital operating room.
- High Patient Satisfaction – The majority of patients who had Balloon Sinuplasty In-Office would recommend the procedure to family and friends.(1)
- Potential for Significant Cost Savings – Some eligible patients may have lower out-of-pocket costs if the procedure is performed in a lower cost of care setting, such as a physician’s office.
Balloon Sinuplasty Helps Surfer Makua Rothman Take A Big Breath of Air
Big wave surfer Makua Rothman was facing imbalance as one of the symptoms due to blocked nasal and sinus passages. He had suffered from sinusitis for a long time, being rushed to the hospital several times as a young kid. To ensure that he stayed in the best shape while chasing giant waves, Dr. Weeks suggested balloon sinuplasty — a minimally invasive procedure to open up his nasal and breathing passages. This extremely innovative, safe, and effective procedure ensures less bleeding, less pain, and faster recovery.
Most patients suffering from prolonged sinusitis like Makua, almost forget how to breathe normally. Balloon sinuplasty is a purely outpatient procedure with patients being able to go home within a few minutes post-surgery. A large percentage of patients can undergo an in office procedure under local anesthesia, eliminating the anesthetic risk and reducing treatment time and cost. Adapted from cardiac angioplasty, balloon sinuplasty uses an inflated balloon catheter to widen blocked nasal and sinus passages and remove congestion. Dr Weeks is one of the pioneers of the sinuplasty procedure, and also one of the first surgeons in the U.S. to perform the procedure. Check out this video of Dr. Weeks performing balloon sinuplasty on Makua. Taking a deep breath during one of his follow-ups, Makua exclaims, “Amazing, life-changing!”.